04 March 2008

My Head is Stuck on Something Precious...

Last night, I went to the opera for the first time in my life! I saw Bizet’s Carmen at the Seoul Arts Center with Gen. I enjoyed the performance, but I was lost, since the dialogue was in Korean and although the libretto was of course performed in the original French, I was only able to catch words here and there, because I am not accustomed to the operatic style of singing. Nonetheless, it was an interesting experience and made me feel very grown-up and civilized. I have always wanted to clap my hands and shout, “Bravo!” Another dream fulfilled.

Speaking of dreams and things to look forward to, I am going to see Duran Duran in April at the Seoul Olympic Park! I'm especially stoked because I never got to see them live when they came to Montreal in 1984. I was only 13 and I wasn't allowed to go. I did see them open for Bowie in 1987, but sadly, haven't seen them since. Then, in 2005, I was living in Japan, when I found out that I'd finally get my chance to see the original line-up (Simon Le Bon, Nick Rhodes, John Taylor, Roger Taylor & Andy Taylor). I purchased VIP tickets to their show in Fukuoka. I was devastated when I found out that the Japanese leg of the tour had been cancelled. So, you can see why I'm pretty stoked about seeing them here in Seoul (even though Andy has left the band). It's been a long time and I've missed them...

I was a mega Duranie during my formative years, between the ages of 13 and 16, and I still have a soft spot for them. They remind me of my early teenage years, when I was all sweet and innocent. They were the first band I ever loved. Duran Duran were responsible for the beginning of my true appreciation of British music and were most likely responsible for turning me into an Anglophile. Then again, that particular obsession probably started way earlier, because my older brothers used to listen to the Beatles, the Who, and of course, Bowie and I would sneak into their room when they weren't home and play their albums.

However, Duran Duran were the first band that I could truly call my own. I saved my babysitting money to buy their albums and spent my weekends hunting down rare import singles and long-versions. To this day, my Japanese import single of Planet Earth (Late Bar b-side - awesome!) is one of my most prized possessions. I anxiously awaited each new issue of BOP!, Tiger Beat, Teen Beat, etc. I bought every book on Duran Duran that I could find. My walls (including the ceiling) were adorned with Duran Duran posters. I watched every video show televised in Canada: Video Hits, Good Rockin' Tonite, Friday Night Videos, praying that the Fab Five would make an appearance. If I was lucky, they played a video. If I was super lucky, I got an interview too! I was the only one of my friends to own Sing Blue Silver & Arena and watched them over and over. "I mean, gimme a wristbaaaand!" I still have a crush on Simon Le Bon. He will always be my first true love.

No comments: